Classic Posts

I have been wanting to implement a “greatest hits” section in my sidebar ever since I read the lessons for would-be bloggers. Yesterday I discovered the classic posts plugin from Chris vs Chris which displays posts which you have designated as “classic.” That sounded like the kind of thing I wanted, except that I was looking for a sidebar list. I added a function to their plugin which returns a list of posts rather than the posts themselves. I also discovered that their plugin does not successfully handle selecting and deselecting posts as being “classic” if you are on anything except the default list of posts – in other words it only works on the last 15 posts. (I went into the database so that I cold manually select some older posts)

I have no particular desire to own this plugin so if Chris and Chris want to adopt my modification into their official plugin they are welcome to it. If they do I will link to their version of the file, but until then here is my version: Classic Posts plugin with List Option.

UPDATE: I found the error on the plugin (I had to add two characters to the code) and I have the working version up now (same link as before).

UPDATE 2: Chris has added my modification and the bug fix so I will include a link to the official version.

About David

David is the father of 8 extremely organized children (4 girls / 4 boys) who is constantly seeking answers to tough questions related to parenting, education and politics while moonlighting for 40 hours each week as a technology professional. He also enjoys cooking, gardening, and sports.
This entry was posted in meta, technology and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Classic Posts

1. Christopher says:

Nice add on.

I’m going to look into the bug your describing. I do not have this bug.

2. David says:

Thanks, I hope you can find the problem because I don’t understand that part of your code well enough yet to find it. (And I have not touched any of that functionality so I doubt I messed it up.)

3. Christopher says:

P.S. We will include your upgrade in our version (asap).

4. David says:

Glad to hear it.

5. Christopher says:

Did you try it before you added the update?

6. David says:

No I didn’t.

Maybe I’ll try that to make sure I didn’t cause the problem.

7. David says:

I tested the unaltered version of the plugin and had the same problem.

8. Christopher says:

David
    I have the latest version up on my site. You said you fixed the bug, with selecting the source?

9. David says:

Yes, I got that bug fixed. I’m glad I could help, and even happier to see this extension working.

10. Jeff says:

Hmmm. This is the error I get when activating the plugin:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ‘SHOW_COLUMNS FROM wp_posts LIKE ‘classic” at line 1]
    SHOW_COLUMNS FROM wp_posts LIKE ‘classic’

WordPress database error: [Duplicate column name ‘classic’]
    ALTER TABLE wp_posts ADD classic VARCHAR(1) NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘n’

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /home/journeyg/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php:121) in /home/journeyg/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 275

11. David says:

I have had that type of problem with this plugin as well as others (I think anytime they alter a table). I can’t say exactly what’s happening, but my experience in all such cases is that if I go back to the plugin manager and select “Activate” again it works just fine.

12. Pingback: WordPress文章置顶插件:Classic Posts | Smartr.cn

13. lifishake says:

Line 38:”SHOW_COLUMNS FROM…” should be “SHOW COLUMNS FROM…”
    That’s why Jeff and I met trouble.

14. David says:

Thanks for catching that. I have fixed that now.

15. Pingback: andyzown.com » Blog Archive » WordPress???????Classic Posts

16. Pingback: YangTx ??? » Most Viewed????Classic Posts???

17. Pingback: Wordpress???? » Blog Archive » Wordpress plugin Classic Posts Released