Best-Of Comments

Have you ever wanted to share your favorite comments on the front page of your site? I’m not talking about the most recent comments, or the most frequent contributors, but the best comments (most funny, most thoughtful, most appropriate, most rash – whatever your criteria may be). Now you can.

Best-Of Comments allows anyone with the ability to edit comments to mark a comment as “featured” and then featured comments will be randomly selected and displayed anywhere you choose to place the php call to best_of_comments(). You can select how comments are displayed, how many to display, and how much of a comment to display (if comments are longer than the specified word length they contain a link back to the original comment). In the future you will have the ability to limit how far in the past to look for featured comments.

Latest Version 1.2 (December 15, 2009)

Discovered a function call that allowed other plugins which alter the content to possibly interfere with the display of featured comments.

About David

David is the father of 8 extremely organized children (4 girls / 4 boys) who is constantly seeking answers to tough questions related to parenting, education and politics while moonlighting for 40 hours each week as a technology professional. He also enjoys cooking, gardening, and sports.
This entry was posted in technology and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Best-Of Comments

1. Pingback: Thanks for Great Comments ยป Pursuit of Liberty

2. Min says:

Hi, I have installed your plug-in on my wp-blog 2.8.4, but I have some problem to mark the featured comments:

On comment edit page, it says:
    This is currently a featured comment:
    *Feature this comment *Do not feature this comment

But no matter what I choose among these 2 options, and click update comments, nothing happens, and the PHP call featured_comments() or best_of_comments() shows no comments at all.

• David says:

Could you tell me which version of the plugin you are using? Also, when you try to select “Feature this comment” does it look like the radio button is filled in?

As for the PHP calls – featured_comments does not work – that was a remnant of an earlier version of the documentation. you should only be using best_of_comments but of course it won’t show anything if the “feature this comment” option is not being saved. Let’s see if we can get that working and then see if a problem remains.

• Min Yan GU says:

Thanks for the reply. I installed your plugin version 1.0 on my wordpress blog 2.8.4

When I edit comment, both of the radio boxes are not filled in, but always display the words ‘This is currently a featured comment:’ above these radio boxes. No matter what I choose among these two options and update the comment, the next time I visit this comment edit page, non of the two radio boxes is filled in. So I guess there is a problem saving your featured mark and I don’t know how to solve.

About the PHP call, I have figured out best_of_comments is the right one to use. Because I changed your plugin settings so that when there is no featured comments, will say ‘No Featured Comments’ in the sidebar, and this works fine.

I do like your plugin a lot, but just in trouble to mark the ‘featured’ comments…

• David says:

The only thing that I can think might be affecting this is a variable that I used which I didn’t really need. I have removed that from the code in version 1.1 (which I just released) so I would recommend upgrading the plugin and see if that fixes your problem.

3. wildkyo says:

Hi!

Works fine for me but I find that will be more useful if the plugin will could show the best comment of the post.

If there’s no comment select of the post, no show any, if there’s some comment select show them.

^^ Regards and thanks for that plugin!

• David says:

The plugin is not designed to do that right now, but I like that idea for a coming version. If you can’t wait for that there is another plugin that does that called Highlight Comments (or something like that).

4. Susan says:

I agree, I’d also like to use feature comments relative to a post rather than the whole blog. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

5. Nagarajan says:

I was looking for something like this. But can you tell me whether I can make the best of comments display a page created by me?

Thanks for the plug-in and your assistance. FYI I am using the latest WordPress 2.9.1

6. Nagarajan says:

I was looking for such a plug-in. Could you please let me know how to display best-of-comments in a separate page that I would create for my blog.

7. Nagarajan says:

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I am talking about WordPress Page. I look forward to the next version with such feature. Many thanks for this plugin.

8. Carlos says:

Please, how can i make to the default for every comment be “feature”. Mant thanks for the plugin and sorry i`m a newbie in wp.

• David says:

Featuring every comment would defeat the purpose of this plugin and would require me to rewrite some code. If you would like to describe what you are trying to accomplish I might be able to point you to a suitable solution.

9. Carlos says:

David, first of all many thanks for the atention. Second, sorry for my poor english. But i want to make something that way: in one page the user could write/comment anonymous (and can’t read others comments) and in other page, he can read a single random comments every time he refresh the page. It’s a little strange, but it sounds a fun experience (at least for me). So i think that a plugin for hide comments and your plugin could be appropriate for this.
    Thanks

• David says:

Sorry for the slow reply. I think I understand what you are trying to do. The best approach would probably be to use a stripped down version of my plugin that would randomly select comments for display. I’m not sure how fast I could get to it but I know what needs to be done. I’ll let you know when I get it done.

10. Hi David- I’m a Davis County native too (living in SLC now). I just installed this plugin, but haven’t been able to figure out what code to actually place in my sidebar to make my featured comments show up. Would you mind dropping me an email so I could ask you about this? Thank you for this plugin- I’m excited to make it work.

• David says:

I had thought my instructions were clear but as I looked at them I discovered that I had the old function call listed in my post. I hope I have not confused too many people with that. The correct call is to “best_of_comments()” and the post has been updated to reflect that.